- Set a budget. Nobody wants to experience buyer’s remorse – or the January credit card bill that accompanies it – so plan out your budget before you go shopping and stick to it. I like using an app on my smartphone to track gifts for each person. My picks: Christmas Gift List for Android; Santa’s Bag for iPhone.
- Research the deals before you go. Search digital flyers on trusted sites like Save.ca (a personal fav of mine!) from the comfort of your home so you know what’s out there and where you can find the products and deals you want. If you thought that save.ca is all about groceries, look again – they’ve got the best deals from all kinds of stores.
- Make a list. It seems obvious, but sometimes we overlook this step. If you make a list and stick to it, you will avoid impulse purchases.
- Be savvy. To ensure you have the right item for the right price, compare the digital flyers while shopping. I like the fact that I can do all of my comparing in one place with Save.ca’s new mobile app for iPhone. There’s no switching between screens and searching for items in my phone’s web browser. This can be a lifesaver for those of you who don’t like to sift through paper flyers. And, for those who do, it’s the perfect shopping companion.
- Dress comfortably. If you’re going to shop at a bricks-and-mortar store/mall, make sure to wear comfortable shoes. And, if you’re lucky enough to get a parking spot relatively close to the shopping entrance, do yourself a favour and leave your coat in the car…all the more room for shopping bags!
- Shop online. If you’re like me, you probably like the idea of going to the mall (it’s so festive, with the holiday music, decorations and the big tree…) and but the reality isn’t always as idyllic. Save a bit of sanity and try online shopping. On November 29, Save.ca will have compiled great deals and discounts for Canadians in one spot.
You don’t have to go crazy trying to get the best deals this holiday season. Simply grab a cup of hot chocolate, a comfy seat in front of your computer, and enjoy finding the best products at the best prices!
Disclosure: I received compensation for this review, however all opinions, as always, are honest and my own.